Mackenzie Lueck Was Texting While At Salt Lake City Airport

Mackenzie Lueck, 23, has not been heard from since the early morning hours of June 17. (Salt Lake City Police )

SALT LAKE CITY, UT — Mackenzie Lueck, the missing University of Utah student, was texting with someone while at Salt Lake City International Airport on Monday, June 17 when she was last heard from.

Police had previously said that Lueck texted her mother at 2:01 a.m. On Wednesday, Salt Lake City police told Patch via email that Lueck was texting with someone else and police have been in contact with that person. Police did not provide any further information.

Authorities in Salt Lake City had said that the police department’s assistant police chief is not expected to provide any more updates into the disappearance of Lueck. Police will continue to give updates however and will hold a press conference if there is a major break in the case.

On Wednesday, police said that Lueck was texting while in the Salt Lake City International Airport.

"We are actively following that lead and continue to pursue other leads as well," police said in a brief statement posted to Twitter.


Time stamps from airport surveillance photos that police released on Tuesday show that Lueck deplaned from an aircraft at 2:09 a.m. and got into a Lyft at 2:40 a.m.

During the 31 minutes that Lueck was at the airport, she did not appear to talk to anyone and walked from the jetway to catch the Lyft, police said. Lueck texted her mother at 2:01 a.m., according to police.

She also made a quick stop to pick up her luggage before leaving the airport.

Lueck arrived at Salt Lake City International Airport on Monday, June 17 after visiting family in California for a funeral and has not been heard from since the early morning hours of that day.

After getting into the Lyft, Lueck reached her destination of Hatch Park just before 3 a.m. where she met someone with a car. Police have not provided a description of the car or the person Lueck met.

The Lyft driver told police that Lueck did not appear to be in any distress and police said they have no reason to doubt the driver’s story.

On the day that she was last heard from, Lueck was wearing black leggings and a white t-shirt with a peace sign on it. She is described as a white female with blonde hair and brown eyes. Lueck is five-feet-six inches tall and weighs 145 pounds, according to the description provided by Salt Lake police.

Police have said that so far there is no evidence of any foul play. They have also addressed Lueck directly to say that they will respect her wishes if she does not want to hear from family or friends but also want to make sure that she is safe.

A dedicated tip line has been set up at 801-799-4420 for anyone with information relating to the case.

So far, police have received over 240 calls to the tip line.

Police continue to seek answers to a number of questions, including:

Does Mackenzie have an alternate phone that she has used or is using?

Who did Mackenzie meet in North Salt Lake City?

Does Mackenzie have any social media accounts we don’t know about?

And is anyone in contact with Mackenzie online or by phone currently or within the last week?

Source Article